finalemement!

I defended (and passed) my dissertation defense last night! I am so relieved and grateful today. I thought I would feel arrogant or get a big ego or something, but I don't feel that at all. Just a lot of gratitude and relief. Fierce relief. Like I was drowning for a very long time and can breathe again. And, the timing is so very perfect. Today, actually right now, Wes and I are walking to the train station to meet my best friend who just flew in from Lafayette to spend a long weekend with us in Amsterdam! And it is a beautiful, warm day here in the Netherlands. Which, by the way, is incredibly rare for this dark dreary cold place - and all of those adjectives I mean just to apply to the weather here. The Dutch people are the opposite of all of that to be certain! They are bright, vibrant and warm. Maybe to contrast with this weather. Today, we get both. Good people and good weather!

animated gifs from Library of Congress photos

Kevin J Wier makes animated gifs using old photographs from the library of congress flickr account. ...