Dissertation, finally, but this post is more interesting than that...

So today I finally officially started my dissertation.

Ok, I've really been working on it for the past 4 years, but only peripherally. Today I started working on it officially. I'll spare you the details of what I mean by that.



In my research, I came across this quote:

"Any organization which designs a system (defined more broadly here than just information systems) will inevitably produce a design whose structure is a copy of the organization's communication structure."



And also another article criticizing google's "simple design."
He makes a pretty good point. Their design isn't really quite as "eloquent" as we think it is -- on the homepage, all you do is search. Of course it's simple. But if you wanted to find one of their other features (most of which no one even knows about), you have to navigate through dozens and dozens of pages. (Have you tried to update your RSS feeds on your homepage lately? Why isn't there a search feature on that page? You have to go through about a million pages to see the options you can add to your page, not to mention the laborious non-intuitive task of figuring out how to add your own RSS feed.)


That must be why they didn't hire me. Poor communication. The lady I talked to, (who was responsible for letting people know that they weren't hired for the User Analyst position), didn't even know what a User Analyst is.

animated gifs from Library of Congress photos

Kevin J Wier makes animated gifs using old photographs from the library of congress flickr account. ...