Search This Blog

Google Disappointment

So I recently submitted my application to Google for the following position:



We're seeking Usability Analyst interns with a strong background in Human Computer Interaction and an interest in helping to build the next generation of great Google products.

The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills and an eye for what makes for a usable product. Your responsibilities will include designing and conducting qualitative user studies to gauge the usability of new and existing Google features and making concrete, data-driven recommendations for change based on your findings.

Requirements:

* Currently pursuing a BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Information Science, or related field. Strong technical background a plus.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Solid knowledge of web design principles.



Well, when I saw the posting, I was really excited.
That's me they're describing...


So I sent my resume and my transcripts and all...

But today they sent me this:
Hi Roxanne,

We would like to thank you for your interest in a Usability Analyst Internship position. After carefully reviewing your experience and qualifications, we have determined that we do not have a position available which is a strong match at this time.

Thanks again for considering Google. We wish you well in your endeavors and hope you might consider us again in the future.

Kind regards,
Tyler



There was also a phone number at the bottom of the email. I was wondering why they didn't feel that I was a "strong match" for their position... so I called to ask them. I hope that's not over-eager or anything. I'm not desperate for the job, but I just would really like it. and it seems like I've got what they're looking for. I'm basically getting my PhD in the application of these Usability principles that they are using to design interfaces. and I'm incredibly well-read in the theoretical bases of the information. So what exactly is it that they are looking for that I don't have? The woman I spoke with was awesome, incredible nice, especially considering the fact that my call was a little, er, probably unexpected? Unfortunately, however, she didn't really have too much information to give me about the details behind what made me unqualified.

I just wish I knew better what they were looking for so I could become better versed in that area. If it was writing code, I would learn how to do that. If it were statistics, I would improve my knowledge in that area. If it were direct experience with eye-gazing technology, I would improve that. I have no problem with them thinking I'm not the perfect fit for the position. and I know that they get thousands of applications, but I just really want to know how to become the perfect candidate.